Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Koren BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Addiction Day 3 (posted on day 4)


Ok, so weekend over, back on the liver cleansing diet. This means no dairy, no red meat and as few additives and preservatives as possible and as many vegetables as possible. And obviously fairly low fat.

I have a quite limited menu when we are liver cleansing as we are both quite fussy in our own way and the diet itself is limiting obviously, so it’s nice to find something new to add to the repertoire and this will definitely be featuring more often, whether we are liver cleansing or not.

I found these on another blog and they looked way too yummy to pass up. Substitute the beef for chicken, a change the vegetables in the wrap and Bob’s your Uncle, well actually it’s Mike, but you know what I mean.

Korean Barbecue Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients for Marinade:

· 1 spring onion, minced

· 3 cloves of garlic, minced

· 1 inch of ginger, minced

· 1 tsp chili flakes

· 1/2 cup of soy sauce

· 1 tbsp sesame oil

· 1 tbsp honey

· 1 tsp brown sugar

· 1/4 cup of rice vinegar

· skinless chicken breast, cut across the grain, thinly sliced – alternatively you could use beef of pork. I only used 1 breast as I didn’t want leftovers and there were only 2 of us eating this.

Combine the marinade ingredients to a mixing bowl, and mix until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the chicken and coat thoroughly – I use a Tupperware season serve so you can turn it periodically and it is water tight, you can use a zip lock bag if you don’t have something similar. Place the marinating chicken in the fridge for at least 2 hours, however overnight is always best.

Cook the strips of chicken (or other meat) in a heated wok, and quickly sear on each side. You will love these as they get some really nice carmelization from the sugar and honey.

For the Lettuce Wraps:

You can use whatever is available in your area and in season, but this is what I chose.

· 1 Lettuce, core sliced off – I used Cos

· Bean Sprouts

· Carrots, sliced into thin batons and blanched.

· Cooked Asian rice noodles, or a very thin spaghetti noodle – I used vermicelli

· Red onion, sliced thinly into wedges

· Baby Zucchini, cut into long thin batons

I threw the onions into the wok before I did the chicken and sautéed them gently before adding the zucchini just to soften it and give it a bit of extra colour.

To make the wrap, take a lettuce cup, and fill it with the noodles, vegetables, and beef.

We loved them so much we ate 3 each. I only cooked one packet of vermicelli, but you don’t use much in each wrap, so I now have an awful lot left over. It was also so yummy that I want to make them again but in a different guise. So I think I’ll go and find some rice paper and make rice paper rolls with basically the same ingredients. With all the ingredients wrapped up they will also be a bit neater to eat and I might send hubby to work with them for lunch too.

No comments:

Post a Comment